Some posts here on ARoseTintedWorld may contain affiliate links. This means that if you click a link and buy a product or register, then I may receive a commission at no extra cost to you. I may also use products from the companies mentioned in these posts. Thank you for supporting my blog!
Easter is nearly upon us, and you may be having to make an Easter bonnet for your child’s school or nursery. Here’s an easy and great idea for some homemade bunny rabbit ears that can be worn all year round or for fancy dress.
Homemade Bunny Rabbit Ears
I recently made myself a grey wooden coat. I had enough left over to make E a duffel coat for next winter (yes, I do think that far ahead!) and still had some scraps. Some of these scraps would be perfect for making a rag rug (find my tutorial on rag rug making here) but I did want to use some of this leftover fabric on other craft items. And the idea for homemade bunny rabbit ears was born! However you could also make these with craft felt.
You will need:
- Thick material such as wool or felt in a rabbit colour. I had grey, but you could use white, brown, black or any colour you choose! I used a piece 40cm by 10cm and enough for four ear pieces
- Some material for the inner ear panels. I used some spring floral, but you could go for plain pink.
- Cooordinating thread – I always use guttermann
- Some ribbon or elastic as a means of tying or keeping the ears on.
- I realised that my grey wool fabric was not sturdy enough to stand up, so I had to use card stock in-between the layers to ensure my ears stayed upright!
- I made a template of all the ear pieces needed.
Constructing the Ears
I cut out all the pieces that I needed from my fabric. This was 4 ear pieces, 2 inner ear pieces, 2 ribbon pieces at 40cm each, a headband piece and some card stock to sandwich in-between my ear pieces.
I appliqued the inner ear fabric to the top layer of my ears.
It was then time to sew the ear pieces together, with a piece of card stock sandwiched in-between.
I used the edge of the presser foot as a guide to give me an even seam allowance
Finally, I pinned the ears into the folded lengthways headband piece, and stitched the whole thing together. using ribbon at the ends. You could also attach elastic.
And you have some finished rabbit ears!
Any small pieces of fabric left? Why not use them to make a Spring Garland?
Or why not pin this post for later?
Linking to Chic On A Shoestring