Some posts here on ARoseTintedWorld may contain affiliate links. This means that if you click a link and buy a product or register, then I may receive a commission at no extra cost to you. I may also use products from the companies mentioned in these posts. Thank you for supporting my blog!
And Yay! It’s Saturday the 8th of December. I have a girly night out planned for tonight. Looking forward to spending some time with my friends. I resisted the urge to book us all on a tank driving day out!
8th Of December
In the Advent Bag
Today in the Advent Bag is a fairy godmother figurine. I really could do with one of these to help me get ready for my night out!
Where is Our Elf Hiding Today?
The Elf is particularly worse for wear after last night, so sat down for a rest. She was spotted by two Sindy friends on their way to a fancy dress party.
They thought Elf was dressed up for the same event, so they are giving her a lift. Isn’t that kind? The elf really should have stayed safe when drinking last night. She’s got a bit of a headache today!
How to Avoid a Hangover, Or How to Treat it!
The main cause of a hangover is dehydration. Alcohol causes you to become dehydrated and loses electrolytes from your blood, and the result is the banging headache, shivers and upset stomach. So what can you do to avoid this?
Avoiding the Hangover
- Don’t drink too much. But that is probably not going to happen, right?
- Don’t drink on an empty stomach. Alcohol absorbs quicker if the stomach is empty. Result – quicker to be drunk.
- Drink soft drinks in-between alcoholic ones. This won’t stop you getting drunk, but will help your body to process the alcohol so that you can get over it all better.
- Don’t mix your drinks. Different drinks have different chemicals (congeners) in them that affect you differently. Mix these chemicals up and you end up with a bigger headache. Stick with your chosen poison!
- Drink water before you go to bed. A pint of water can really help, and have a water drink at the side of the bed in case you wake up. This can help to rehydrate you whilst you sleep. It’s better not to take painkillers before you go to bed though – the liver is working hard enough as it is getting rid of the alcohol, and you won’t get the painkilling benefit whilst you are asleep. Save the AlkaSelzer until you maybe need it in the morning!
But what if you end up with a hangover anyway?
Treating the Hangover
- Rehydration is key. Lots of water, not fizzy drinks as these upset your stomach.
- Sugary foods and antacids may also settle the stomach
- Eat food that is king to the stomach. Something like eggs on toast or a banana can give good protein and potassium and is bland enough not to upset your tummy more.
- Oral rehydration salts such as Dioralyte can help replace lost salts in your bloodstream, which also makes you feel better.
- Painkillers are better taken in the morning.
What to Avoid when you have a Hangover!
- Hair of the Dog – you are just delaying the inevitable! Not cool.
- Coffee – this dehydrates you even more and certainly doesn’t help with the hangover shakes.
Other things that may help
- Ginger tea – may help to settle the stomach and rehydrate you at the same time
- Milk thistle tea – some people swear by this – it even comes in capsule form. But it is unproven IMO.
The best way to avoid a hangover is not to drink too much in the first place! But as this is unlikely this season just get your sunglasses on or sleep it off. Time is the only real healer here!
Have a great day – and see you tomorrow. Hopefully my head won’t be in a bucket!
Enjoyed this? Why not read about having a Merry Lagom Christmas?